To all of you in attendance at our Annual Meeting on 1/24, thank you for your support. For those who couldn’t be there, it was a terrific evening with fantastic auction/raffle items and the usual incredible food provided by The Harraseeket Inn. The following Board seats were nominated and approved for another term:
Duncan Barnes – Board Chair
Mac McKeever – President
Jeff Verrill – Vice President
Don Russell – Secretary
Dom Vella – Treasurer
Mac McKeever presented a review of CCA-ME’s efforts over the past year (click here to download pdf) and a look forward to areas of focus for 2013.
A brief recap of CCA-ME 2012 efforts:
- Testified in favor of drastic management measures for menhaden at public hearings and in written statements.
- Advocated for the conservation of striped bass spawning stock biomass in the Kennebec River.
- Involved with four major fundraising events: two concerts with several hundred people in attendance, one tournament and one banquet.
- Worked hard to galvanize existing relationships and establish new ones with organizations such as Maine Rivers, Friends of Casco Bay, Atlantic Salmon Federation, Maine Audubon, Bowdoin, Gulf of Maine Research Institute, L.L.Bean, DMR.
- Invited to participate in an alewife consortium, comprised of several conservational and marine organizations.
- Testified in favor of drafting a resolve to continue consideration for the removal of dams on the Royal River.
- Testified in favor of a new structure to improve fish passage on Sewell Brook.
- Testified in favor of the removal of 24 granite blocks on the Royal River.
- Continue to have a strong lobbying presence in Augusta via Dan Riley.
Our focus for 2013 will include:
- 2nd Annual Maine Striper Sessions benefit concert on March 15th – save that date!
- Striper fishing tournament – details coming.
- Advocating barrier removal on the Royal River.
- Legislative efforts for St Croix fish passage.
- Participation on the Alewife Consortium.
- Continuing our work on preserving and enhancing a variety of forage species.
- Continue to educate anglers with safe catch and release practices.